To date the mini 250 quadcopters have held the spotlight on the FPV racing circuits. Now we think it's time to introduce a new FPV racing class by showing you how to build your own 290 mini FPV racing hexacopter!
The components that we are using in this do-it-yourself hexacopter build are the RD290 carbon fiber mini hexacopter frame, the Open Pilot Mini Atom flight controller, RC Timer 12A SimonK ESCs (electronic speed controllers), DYS BX Series 1804 2300KV brushless motors, GemFan 5030 propellers, the FlySky FS-T6 radio transmitter along with the FlySky FS-R6B 6-channel receiver. For the FPV system we decided to go with a 7 inch HD color monitor rather than an immersion system, along with the Boscam RC805 AV receiver, a Boscam TS351 AV transmitter and a very nice 800TVL day/night vision camera.
Before we start assembling the RD290 carbon fiber mini hexacopter frame, let's familiarize ourselves with the components that come in the kit.
Referring to the above photo, we have:
- 1) Two Bottom Plates- These two plates are identical and are for mounting the booms/arms.
- 2) Front Boom/Arms- These two arms are shorther than the other four arms.
- 3) Side and Rear Boom/Arms- These four booms/arms are all identical and are for the sides and rear of the aircraft.
- 4) Bottom Upper Deck Plate- The difference in this plate from the top upper deck plate is the mounting holes for attaching the deck to the bottom plate/arm assembly.
- 5) Top Upper Deck Plate- The top upper deck plate completes the upper deck assembly.
- 6) Battery Mount- The battery mount plate actually attaches to the top plate of the upper deck, but for this build we want the battery mounted below the arms to keep as low a center of gravity as possible so we won't use this piece of the frame.
- 7) Front FPV Camera Mounting Plate- This is the camera mounting plate for our FPV system.
- 8) Camera Mounting Plate- This plate is for mounting a GoPro or similar camera, it comes with the kit but we there aren't any mounting holes to mount this plate. Besides, we'll probably use a Mobius Action Cam and so we won't be using this plate anyway.
- 9) Mounting Hardware- The kit comes with a few extra pieces of hardware than what is needed but that's okay!